Sunday, April 21, 2019

The Six Commandments ?????




In Mark 10: 17-23 we find the story of the "rich young ruler" who asked Jesus what he needed to do to inherit eternal life. I found something recently in that story that I have never noticed before.  As Jesus answered, He quoted only six of the ten commandments to him.

Jesus said, "You know the commandments:  'Do not commit adultery,' 'Do not murder,' 'Do not steal, 'Do not bear false witness,' 'Do not defraud,' ' Honor your father and your mother.'" (Mark 10:19)

I found many different explanations of this in articles and commentaries. Some I agreed with while others seemed to miss the point altogether.  What really separates these six commandments from the other four is this:  these commandments concern how we treat each other.  Sometimes these are called the "horizontal" commandments.

The other four concern our relationship with God and are sometimes called the "vertical" commandments.

1.  You shall have no other gods before Me.
2.  You shall not worship idols.
3.  You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
4.  Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

I think there are probably many people who keep the last six commandments.  They have chosen to be people of a high moral standard. Even atheists can see the value of treating others well and avoiding criminal behavior.  Most people who have engaged in activities that those first six commandments prohibit have discovered that the natural consequences of these acts are negative, hurtful, and filled with natural punishments here on earth.

The caution I have for the Christian in these comments is one I have to remember myself.  If I continue to live in a moral way, just because it is wiser, I am no different than a moral atheist. It's possible to do good works, treat people with kindness, even attend church, but still neglect my relationship with God. 


At this point in my life, I'm not likely to take up any new vices.  I laid aside the ones I had many years ago when I asked Jesus to forgive me and make me a new creation.  I'm not stupid enough to revisit those choices or make new decisions that would take me into situations where I do not want to find myself.  If I just mechanically obey the rules though, without letting the spirit of God flow through me and give me His life on a daily basis, I open myself up to be influenced and set myself up to begin to compromise.

We have to be careful not to rely on our own "rule-keeping" as our righteousness.  The Bible says that we are "the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus" (2 Corinthians 5:21) because the sinless Jesus became sin for us on the cross.  That's what this Easter week celebrates - that He died to take our sins upon Himself but rose again so that we might have life. Our righteousness is His righteousness.  The way we live is not a way to earn anything from God.  We've been given all we need and it's certainly not what we deserve.  

Relying on obeying those last six commandments and the scores of other unwritten rules that make us think we look the part of a Christian runs the risk of us becoming cold to God and self-reliant.  I think when Jesus quoted those six commandments, he was saying to the young man that He considered the first four to be a "no-brainer".  Loving God to the exclusion of all other things, speaking His name in respect, love, and power, honoring Him on the Sabbath and every day is the basis from where the power to live in true holiness springs.

If it's been a long time since you think you really messed up, think about this:  When is the last time you prayed?  When did you last read God's Word?  Are you relying on a pattern of behavior or are you drawing your very life from your relationship with God?  



No comments:

Post a Comment