Sunday, April 14, 2019

Preparation




As I sit typing this blog post tonight, the sky outside my window is blue with fluffy white clouds, yet the weather forecast is calling for thunderstorms with high, damaging winds and hail and a possibility of tornado activity.  If I had no access to modern weather reports, I would never expect any such thing, based on what I see just outside my house.

People are being advised to secure things outside so they won't be blown away.  We are told to be watchful of the conditions so we can move our families to safety if conditions worsen.  We're told that fallen trees could bring down power lines and in some areas near where I live the power is already out.

Personally, I've prepared just as I'm being advised.  In case of a power outage, I'm currently getting the blog ready to submit, doing a load of laundry so I'll have something to wear to work in the morning, and planning to do some computer work related to my job. Dinner has already been prepared and consumed and if there's time before it starts storming, I'll have an early bath.  My entire Sunday afternoon and evening timeline is being determined by just the possibility of something happening.  Maybe it will - maybe it won't.

At the same time, all around me in this world are people who have not made any preparations for the life they will have after this one.  Though they may not believe it, that forecast is a sure thing.  Human beings will prepare for vacation, for retirement, for accidents, for natural disasters - but pay no attention to the condition of their souls and their eternity.

The signs of the times indicate that it won't be long until Jesus returns for His church.  Christians know that prediction is set in stone because God Himself made that forecast.  No, we don't know when, but we do know to be prepared. 

How do we prepare?  It's not just by believing facts.  The enemy himself knows all the facts. It's a knowing and acting upon this truth that shows that our trust is in Jesus.

Every sports fan has seen the scripture reference for John 3:16 - "God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

Jesus also said, "I am the resurrection and the life.  Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live." (John 11:25)

There is your preparation, but it's only the beginning.  When you really believe something with your whole heart, it's not just an intellectual exercise; it's the basis for everything you do and say in life.

Are you prepared?  Do you know who holds your future here on earth and your eternity in heaven?  Are you ready for the storms to come?  I hope that you are.  If you watch and listen, you'll begin to see signs of the times and know that it's time to think about these things. I'm going to sign off for tonight and finish my list of preparations for this natural storm because now I hear the wind beginning to blow . . . . . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment