Sunday, April 7, 2019

Do They Know?



On the way to church last Sunday, my husband glanced over to his left while he was driving on the interstate and said, "I never knew there was a church over there".  My eyes followed his line of sight and saw the building he had noticed for the first time.

His words, "I never knew there was a church......" hung in the air between us for a moment and we both said, "That'll preach!"  I don't know anything about the church family that uses that particular building. They may be doing a dynamic work in our community with souls being saved on a regular basis, people living free and holy lives, saints operating in their spiritual gifts, with leadership who is totally sold out to what Jesus has revealed to them as their mission and vision.  Then again, they could be a dried-up, dead, ritualistic bunch of folks who treat the church as a social club.  That church on the interstate isn't the point.  The point is:  I wonder how many people who don't know anything about God are in that state because they never knew there was a church.

In this case, it's not a church building I am considering.  The church I attend had two church homes before I ever moved to Virginia and has had two more since I became a member.  I'm talking about the church as a whole - not my denomination, not my congregation, but the church around the world - the Body of Christ.

How many of us only express our relationship with God within the four walls?  Are our churches open to new people?  Would a visitor feel welcomed?  What about someone who was obviously under the influence or dressed immodestly?  Can we reach out in love to them as they are?

We are not just the church corporately, we are the church individually. Are there people in our sphere of influence who don't have a clue what we believe?  Are we distinguishable from unbelievers in any way?  Are we being the church?

During my teenage years, I had a friend who talked about sharing her faith with others.  She would say that she didn't want to enter heaven only to see those she knew being turned away looking at her saying, "Why didn't you tell me?" 

When all is said and done, I know there will still be some who have not accepted Christ - those who think that I'm naive or crazy or stupid.  I don't care what they think of me, but I don't want to be their excuse for not accepting the truth of God.  I don't want them to say that they never knew there was a church. Let's let them know!


No comments:

Post a Comment