Sunday, March 25, 2018

First Day in Heaven

  


   I have not yet seen the movie, I Can Only Imagine, though everyone I know who has seen it highly recommends it. I know the song (by MercyMe) that the movie is based on, and I have always loved it.  If you aren’t familiar with the song, the writer wonders what his reaction will be to meeting Jesus for the first time in heaven.

     This past week, I’ve also seen a post shared several times on Facebook that features a painting called First Day in Heaven by an Egyptian artist named Kerolos Safwat.  (I don’t have permission to post the picture here, but he has a Facebook page where the painting is pictured. Please check it out.)

     The painting depicts a young woman who apparently has just entered heaven – jumping into the arms of Jesus with a look of complete joy on her face.  If you are a follower of Jesus, perhaps you’ve pictured that moment for yourself – when you finally see in the flesh the One you have loved for such a long time.

      It made me think about that first meeting for me and what it will be like – just like the questions that the song explores.  Then I tried to think of an earthly situation that would be similar and came up with this scenario.

     Suppose you write to a famous person.  Perhaps it’s a fan letter to a singer or actor.  Maybe it’s a letter to a writer or lecturer whose work you admire.  It could even be someone who is not a household name but is well-known in your field of work.  You write to this person to let them know how much you appreciate their contributions to their area of expertise.  You don’t expect an answer from them because you know they are far too busy with their career to notice you. You just want to let them know their actions have touched you in some way and made your life better, or more enjoyable, or helped you to make progress in your own career.

     Then, to your great surprise, a reply comes in the mail.  The person responds to your message and some of the ideas you expressed.  Perhaps they ask for your opinion on a project that they are about to undertake.  This person values your thoughts and ideas.  Amazing!  You eagerly write back and soon an exchange of letters and emails begins to take place. Maybe you even have a phone conversation or two. For several years, you keep up this pen-pal relationship with the person that you admire.

     After some time, you find out the person you now think of as your “Person” is going to be in a city near you for an event, and they have asked if you could come so they could meet you.  Are you kidding?  Of course,  you will!  They tell you that you are welcome to bring a friend with you and the two of you will be their special guests.

     The day finally arrives. Your friend, who is also an admirer of this person, is very excited to meet them as well.  You enter the room where the meeting has been arranged and two very different meetings take place.  Your Person strides toward you, arms wide open and says, “It’s about time!” as they give you a warm hug.  Your friend, however, meekly extends a hand for a handshake and says, “It’s an honor to meet you.”  While your Person is warm and welcoming to them, your friend gets left in the background while you and your Person pick up where you left off in your last communication with them.

     The difference is relationship.  I’ve been struggling lately with being busy with Kingdom activities (as well as earthly ones) and not spending enough time cultivating my relationship with God.  This Jesus, who I want to meet, needs to be more than just someone that I have knowledge of and whose work I admire.  I need to be in constant communication with Him. I need to read His letters eagerly and reply to Him with my thoughts. I want to partner with Him in the projects He desires to undertake.  I want to be like the girl in the painting.  When my time to meet Him comes, I don’t want to just say softly, “It’s an honor to meet you, Sir.”  I want to jump into His arms with abandon saying, “Hey! We were just talking and now look – here you are!”
    
    

      


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is just exceptional! What an inspired explanation, thank you. Marta

    ReplyDelete