Sunday, March 4, 2018

Brainwashed!

     “I don’t understand people who aren’t me.  They’re weird!”

     If you imagine that last word said with a high-pitched whine (in two syllables),  you can put yourself right at the scene. Those were my husband’s words to me this morning.  My husband is known for his wise-cracking remarks, but I think he was only half kidding about this one.

     Sometimes it is difficult to hear all the wide-ranging opinions of others on issues from gun-control, to gender confusion, to religion, to politics to the issue of the week on Facebook and not feel like the entire world (except you) has gone absolutely crazy.  We are all sure we are right about everything or else we wouldn’t think what we think.

     So what should our standard be for how we think about all these things?  It’s a simple answer, but not an easy or instant thing to do. The Word says, “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. “(Romans 12:2)

     When there is no perfect standard for what is right, then confusion reigns.  The Apostle Paul put it this way, “ These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.  But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ. (1 Corinthians 2: 13-16)

     There is no point in arguing with a natural man about spiritual things.  They regard them as foolish things.  Until the Holy Spirit breaks through in the life of a person, they will not be ready to receive the things of the Spirit. The New Testament term for repent is metanoia which not only means regret or be remorseful for something but it also means to have a “change of mind”.  Only then are we open to truly begin to think like God thinks.


     Many unbelievers will say of us, “You Christians are all just brain-washed”.  One of my former pastors used to say, “Everyone in the world is brain-washed by something or someone. At least I’m choosing who gets to wash my brain!” That’s true – our thinking is all influenced by what we allow to “wash over us” by what we read and listen to, by who we gather around us, by what we watch.  I don’t know about you, but my brain needed a good washing when I came to Jesus and I need to remember to keep renewing my mind in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment