Sunday, February 25, 2018

Never Too Late

(In recent weeks at my church, God has been doing amazing things in restoring the lives of many people who have walked away from Him and are returning to their first love.  This blog post is an old one for me, but I've updated it and I dedicate it to those who feel like huge failures in their Christian life.  My prayer is that it gives you some hope for your future. God is able - and He will!)

"You've ruined your life."

Those are the words of my father, almost 40 years ago, when he learned that I was pregnant.  I was 19 years old, single and a college student.  I don't blame him for that thought.  I was the girl "least likely" to get pregnant in her freshman year at college.  If people from my high school had been asked to predict my future, they would have said that I would become a minister - not a single mom.

The reasons I found myself in that situation aren't really all that important anymore.  I took full responsibility for the decisions that brought me to that place, and with the support of a wonderful grandmother, I gave birth to that child and made a life with her. My father died when she was six months old and never got to see what happened next.

Was he was he thinking that I'd never finish my education, that no decent man would ever marry me, that I'd never have a career, that my relationship with God was over? I wonder.....

In retrospect, I think his words were a blessing in disguise.  They spurred me to prove him wrong.

By the time my daughter was four years old, I had returned to college and graduated with a degree in education. When she was eight years old, I married my husband, Paul and he adopted her.  Now we are approaching our 31st wedding anniversary, have a wonderful son and daughter-in-law and recently welcomed our first grandchild. I've taught for 34 years and have been able to make a good living.  My relationship with God is the most rewarding part of my life and I'm actively involved in my church.  My life is full and rich and rewarding - not ruined at all.

I just don't believe in ruined lives.  I think there is always a choice to make a change and that the grace of God is available to move that choice into reality.  People who have abused drugs and alcohol get clean and sober, criminals go straight, promiscuous people become faithful spouses or celibate singles, gossips become friends who keep confidences, gluttons gain control, abusive people become loving and nuturing - all this is possible.  Even someone whose choices have given them a lifetime prison sentence can make a choice to live a blessed life within that situation.

2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

That scripture works whether you are just entering the Christian life for the first time or whether you've been there and let your decisions take you in the wrong direction.  Grace forgives, covers, and gives you a new beginning whether you are 19, or 49 or 89.  If you know someone who is self-critical and despairing of ever making their life work, please share this story with them. Please tell them that it is never too late.

1 comment: