Sunday, September 30, 2018

She Calls Me Mamaw!







In May, I wrote a blog post about the fact that my granddaughter, Bella, had a name for everyone in the family except me.  I was that nameless, nice lady who she loved, but could not name. In the last few months, I have finally been christened with the moniker of Mamaw.

Growing up, I don't remember any of my friends having a Mamaw. Some called their grandmother names like Granny, or Grandma, or Grandmother or even Mimi, but Mamaw was not a name I heard.  It seems to be more of a southern name and as my husband is fond of reminding me, even though I'm a West Virginian by birth, I just barely lived south of the Mason-Dixon line. I made it by only about twelve miles.  In his mind, I'm not really southern at all.  In fact, he calls me a "Wetzelvanian" since I lived in Wetzel County, WV, not too far from the Pennsylvania state line.

A "Mamaw" in my mind is a plump, farm wife with a flowered dress and a white apron.  I think I have the plump part down, but the rest doesn't sound like me.  However, "Mamaw" goes perfectly with "Papaw" and since that's my husband, I guess we make a perfect pair.

What's the spiritual significance of this little story? I guess there isn't much on the surface.  I think I just wanted to write to share with the readers who have been following our story that not only do I have a beautiful, smart, sweet blessing of a granddaughter, but she asks for me by name now. What a miracle she is!  All grandmothers think that about their grandchildren, but the fact that she is in my life at all is a miracle.

The struggle and heartbreak of a fertility issue for my son and his wife caused the joy of this particular little girl to be in our lives.  The circumstances of her birth mother's life that could have led to tragic results have unfolded to give her a wonderful life with us where she is whole, happy and normal (or as normal as she can be surrounded by our crazy family!) It's one of those "what the enemy meant for evil, God is using for good" kind of things.

I am just overwhelmingly grateful to God for Bella's life and I am so excited to see how He will continue to grow Josh and Brittney's little family.  Things do not always work out the way that we think we would orchestrate them, but God's plan is always perfect.  So, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go look for a flowered dress and an apron.  I've got a grandbaby to love on!


No comments:

Post a Comment