Sunday, September 23, 2018

In His Time



My son and his wife are trying to sell their house, so they planted a few fruits and vegetables at our house this summer so they wouldn't have to abandon the harvest if their house was purchased before it was time to enjoy all the produce. The watermelon vines, in particular, have rather taken over a section of the backyard. They started as a few small plants nestled up next to the foundation of the house, but their spreading vines are trailing far across the lawn.

About a week ago, one of them looked ready to eat.  It was large and had that nice yellow spot on the bottom that is supposed to indicate that it's ready. When we cut into it, it looked good and each of our two families had a large chunk to enjoy.  Yesterday, in anticipation of a picnic lunch we had planned for a day trip, we thought we'd slice up some more to add to the cooler. My son found one that looked just like the other had looked when we'd served it up.  However, when I pulled my large knife across the rind of this one and sliced down to the cutting board, all I saw was a disappointing pale pink color all the way down to the rind.  That watermelon got tossed into the woods for the wildlife to enjoy if they can.

To our eyes, it looked as if the second melon was ready to serve out its purpose.  It looked right on the outside, the time it had been growing indicated that it should be ready, our experience had been that a melon of that size and appearance should be good to eat - so what happened?  It just wasn't time.

I attended a women's conference this past weekend where the speaker said something much the same.  She said that sometimes when we are believing God for breakthrough and miracles in our lives, we just have to wait for God's timing. She said that God's delay is not necessarily God's denial and that He might be waiting for the perfect timing to bring the greatest glory to Himself.

I can remember experiences in my own life where had I been given exactly what I wanted at the time that I thought I needed it, it actually would have been damaging to my situation.  God knew the big picture and His timing was perfect.  There are situations right now in my life that I think I see clearly.  I know what needs to happen and I can't imagine why or how a delay in getting that answer could be positive or desirable, but I also know that I don't know everything.  In God's infinite wisdom, with an eternal view and a Kingdom purpose, there are reasons I could never comprehend.  In the gardens of our lives, He is the ultimate and perfect gardener.  He knows when we are ready for the things He desires to give us, the ministries in which He wants to use us, and the lessons He needs to teach us.  It's time to trust the Master Gardener.

He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.  (Ecclesiastes 3:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment