Sunday, July 14, 2019

Driving with My Eyes Closed



I don't often take an afternoon nap because it makes it difficult for me to go to sleep when I need to at bedtime, but today the couch was beckoning and I took a daytime snooze.  Just before I woke up, I had a dream where I found myself suddenly in the driver's seat of a car on a busy highway.  I could hear the voice of that annoying GPS lady telling me to move to the left turning lane.  The problem was that I could see absolutely nothing.  My eyes were closed in the dream just as they were in real life as I slept. In the dream, I knew that I was asleep and I was desperately trying to wake up and open my eyes so I could see where I was going, but I was so sleepy that there was no way my eyes would open, despite my panic.  I wanted nothing more than for someone else to take control of the car because I had no information to guide me to keep me from causing an accident.

This dream shook me a little.  On a natural level, it would be a terrifying experience, but when I thought about the spiritual applications, it was equally as scary.  I know there is an area of my life where I have been asleep.  I've chosen to hit the figurative snooze button and ignore the information that I need to make a course correction.  I've closed my eyes spiritually instead of taking control of the journey with the Holy Spirit giving me step-by-step directions.  The difference is that in the dream, no matter how hard I tried, my eyes would not open.  In real life, I've chosen to close them.

All blindness is not physical. In the gospels, we read about Jesus giving sight to the blind. The Bible also talks about bribes blinding the wise and blind teachers leading others into error.  Jesus called the Pharisees blind guides.  The epistles talk about minds being blinded.  In Revelation 3:15 -20 Jesus says to the lukewarm church:

"I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot.  I could wish you were cold or hot.  So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing' - and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked - I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.  As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.  Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."

That "knocking at the door" scripture is not directed at the unsaved.  Jesus is talking to His church. To us - to you -to me. If there is an area of blindness in your life, now is the time to confront it, to deal with it, to be healed from it.  Jesus never healed anyone who didn't desire to be changed. I've heard people say that the Holy Spirit is a gentleman and He won't force anything in our lives. We have to be willing.  Today, I am willing to open my eyes and quit driving blind.  How about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment