Sunday, July 21, 2019

It Worked!






A couple of months ago, it was time for a big change in our granddaughter's life.  She had finally reached the required weight to allow us to turn her car seat around so she could look out the windshield instead of the back of a seat.  What a milestone!  It totally changed her view of everything around her as we travel.

On one of the first days that she was allowed this new perspective, she was in her seat as my husband was driving to pick me up from the beauty shop.  As they drove along, there was a car driving rather slowly in front of them.  Anxious to get on down the road, Bella shouted, "Move, car - we have to drive!"  Just then, the car moved into the left turning lane, leaving the road free for Paul to continue.  He heard a tiny gasp from the backseat, glanced back in the rearview mirror and caught a glimpse of the shock on her face when she exclaimed, "It worked!" Bella was astounded by the apparent power of her words.

I think I'm that way with prayer sometimes.  I know the words to say.  I know what change I want to see, but do I always expect it to work? Have there been times when answers came almost immediately and I was surprised?

Luke 10 tells the story of the seventy that Jesus sent out to minister in the cities where He was about to go.  When they returned, they were joyful and said to Jesus in verse 17, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name!" I can hear a note of surprise in their report.  Even they were surprised by their authority. As Christians, our words carry power.

When Jesus cursed the fig tree and He passed by it the next day, Peter exclaimed, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree which You cursed has withered away."  (Mark 11:23)  Can you hear the surprise in that exclamation?

Jesus often used the phrase, "Oh, ye of little faith!"  Faith expects something to happen. After all, Jesus spoke of a faith that would move mountains.

When my prayers seem to be unfruitful, I need to examine my expectations.  Am I praying polite, little, rote prayers just to be nice or dutiful or am I boldly coming to the throne of grace? (Hebrews 4:16)

I want to be like Bella.  I want to see things from a new perspective, declare what I want to happen, and see results, but when things change, I want to celebrate what God has done and not be surprised that prayer has worked in just the way Jesus told us it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment