Sunday, December 15, 2019

Talking to Jesus




Last Sunday night, my son's family spent the night at our home.  Josh and his wife, Brittney, were leaving the next morning to drive to Duke University Hospital so  Brittney could be admitted for heart surgery on Tuesday. They were preparing for the trip and my husband, Paul, (aka Pawpaw) was resting because he was recovering from a bout of pneumonia, so I had primary responsibility for my granddaughter, Bella, that evening.

I put Bella to bed that night.  She has graduated to a toddler bed and this was her first night to sleep in it.  She asked me to stay in the room with her for a few minutes and as I sat on the floor beside the bed, she began to sort of sing her full name, "Bella Ellis, Bella Ellis" and then continued in a sing-song voice to say things like "Papaw feel better" and "Help me sleep in my bed by myself".

I realized what she was saying and I asked her, "Bella, are you praying?" She sat up in the bed and said, "I not praying, Mamaw! I talkin' to Jesus!"


How simple, yet how profound. There are thousands of books dealing with the subject of prayer.  Many sermons have been preached about it.  There are studies on prayer with workbooks and journals. Yet, at the heart of it, it's really just talking to and listening to Jesus.  Even a not quite three-year-old can do it and do it well.

Last night, she had a really hard time going to sleep.  She really misses her mommy and daddy.  I think she napped a little too long in the afternoon and just wasn't quite ready for bed, but it was getting very late.  Though I was firm with her about staying in her bed and in the room she uses at my house, I had some mercy for her tears and lack of cooperation.  Finally, I just scooped her up in my arms, sat down with her on the loveseat in the room and said, "Ok, Bella, we're going to talk to Jesus".  I wiped her tear-stained face, held her and rocked her and prayed with her until she finally fell asleep in my arms and I was able to put her in her own bed.  Early this morning, well before I was ready to face the day, she woke up crying for me and when I went to check on her she said, through her tears, "Mamaw, can we go on the couch and talk to Jesus?" 

When life is difficult and you can't rest, just find a quiet place to be and talk to Jesus.  Bella highly recommends it.

(By the way, Bella's mother is recovering in the hospital and will hopefully be home this week.  Your prayers for an uncomplicated recovery are appreciated.)


No comments:

Post a Comment