Sunday, November 17, 2019

Save the Date!



I may be part of the older generation, but because of my job in education, much of what I do every day is computer related.  I don't even use a datebook or paper planner of any kind now.  All the events of my life are on a digital calendar that is available to me on any device I can access.  On the other hand, there's my husband, Paul.  This is what he says about himself.

"I'm Fred Flintstone in a George Jetson world."

Though he will take a brief look at his hometown newspaper's online version (just to make sure he isn't mentioned in the obituaries), he's really not very connected online.  He says he uses "Face-look", not "Facebook".  We have a shared data plan on our family's cell phones and he uses exactly 0 bytes of data each month.

So for Paul's benefit, there is a paper calendar on our bedroom wall so I can make sure he is informed of all the different things that are happening in our lives and the lives of our family members that might affect him or for which he needs to be praying.  The other day, I looked up at the November calendar and realized that I hadn't updated it since we turned to that page.  The month was completely blank.  At first, I thought I'd just add the things that were yet to come this month, but I like to be thorough and so I added even the events that had already happened. 

But what's the point of writing down what's already in the past?  Sometimes it's good to have a point of reference, such as knowing how long it has been since you last saw your doctor. Other times it's nice to look back and remember a pleasant event that you might have otherwise forgotten.  Someone might write a date on a calendar to mark the beginning of a goal or a decision such as the beginning of a diet plan or the last time they smoked a cigarette. 

Today was one of the kinds of Sunday morning services that should be written down and remembered. Though God is always present when we meet together, the Holy Spirit did some very special things when we were together today.  I keep a journal where I write about significant moments and days in my walk with God.  Sometimes He works in our lives in ways that are amazing, but time and failing memories can erase the importance of a moment.  When I am struggling with circumstances in my life, it helps me tremendously to go back and read about the ways God has intervened in my life in the past.  I "save the date" by creating my own small memorials in words to mark the day when I saw an answer to a prayer, when I was encouraged by a word from someone who was listening to the Holy Spirit on my behalf, or when I let God use me to bless someone else.

God likes us to remember those days as well.  All through the Bible, people remembered and reminded each other of the mighty deeds which God had done. The children of Israel built memorials of stone to remind them of what God had done for them.  Hearing and meditating on those things once more builds our faith and helps us trust Him for the future.  I encourage you today to begin to either keep a journal or at least a few sheets of paper in the back of your Bible to create a written memorial to go back to so you can encourage yourself in the Lord in a time when hope is difficult to find. 

No comments:

Post a Comment