Sunday, September 22, 2019

I Wish I Was OR I Wish I Were?



There are so many customs humans have when they want to wish for something - blowing dandelion fluff, blowing out birthday candles, pulling the turkey wishbone, crossing their fingers, or finding four-leaf clovers.  You could probably add something else to this list.

The other day I indulged myself in watching the musical version of Cinderella that was often on television when I was a child.  In the story, all the girls in the kingdom are hoping to become the chosen bride of the prince and they are wishing they were older, or younger, or sweeter, or bolder, or any of the other traits they don't have that cause them to be disqualified from having their dream fulfilled.

That's been the story of my life for quite some time now.  It's not that I want to marry a prince.  I married mine over 32 years ago and I thank God for him.  My wishes are of the self-improvement kind.  I wish I was a person who kept better track of my checking account or flossed every day or could lose weight AND keep it off.  As a Christian, I wish I were a person who studied the Word more or prayed more or reached out to people more naturally.

I started thinking about the was vs were and just could not remember my high school English teachers addressing that subject when it comes to these types of phrases.   So, like any modern person, I did an internet search.  I found a variety of opinions on which is correct, but one of the most interesting things I found is this:  One should say, "I wish I were" when the thing they are hoping for is impossible or highly improbable.  This would be like me saying, "I wish I were 21 years old and five feet and eight inches tall." Those of you who know me are aware that I'll never see 21 again and I have never even glimpsed five feet and one inch. It's just not going to happen.

The phrase "I wish I was" is reserved for those things that are approachable.  In my case, most of the things I truly wish for are possible, but most of them require some action on my part.  How do I get to become a person who does all those things?  Well, the people that do those things are the people who make a decision to do them and then follow through. On a daily basis, I do the things I have to do, like go to work, but in my free time I end up doing what I want to do instead of the things I should.

I am one decision away from everything I want to change in my life.  I can't do any of it on my own, but with God's help, I can be successful. However, God won't force me or do it for me.  His Word says that God's divine power has"given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness".  (1 Peter 1:3)  There's nothing for which I have to wait to begin making those changes in my life.  It's one of those "one foot in front of the other" kinds of beginnings.  What are you wishing of yourself?  Let's take some first steps and the sooner, the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment