Sunday, December 9, 2018

Lessons from a Baby #13: Wow! Look at That!



Yesterday I put the Christmas tree in the corner of our living room and added the lights and decorations in anticipation of our little Bella and her parents coming over to spend a few nights to weather the predicted snowstorm with us.  When they arrived, I carried her into the house and put her down in front of the tree.  "Wow! Look at that!", she said as she gently touched the lower limbs and their ornaments.

The next morning when she woke up, I opened the front door to let her look through the glass storm door at the falling snow and the white-covered neighborhood. "Wow!  Look at that!", was her reaction.

Oh, to have the wonder a little child has!  Everything is new, exciting and interesting.  I think we get so used to the world the way we have experienced it that we forget to really see what is right in front of us.

I can look into the eyes of this beautiful, busy, almost two-year-old who God placed in our family and say, "Wow!  Look at that!"  I can look around my house and think how impossible it is in the natural that we even own a home, given some of the financial challenges we have had.  Wow!  Look at that! 

When I look around in my local church I see two women who Jesus rescued from drug addiction. I see two more who have survived brain tumors.  Wow!  Look at that!  I see my pastor who once contemplated suicide, now serving God and leading a group of people into radical Christianity.  Wow!  Look at that!  Everywhere I look I see people who have new lives and are living over their circumstances. Wow!

Exodus 15:11   Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like you, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders?

In this special season, sometimes we do stop and really look for and appreciate the blessings around us, but I'm setting a challenge for myself to really notice those "wow" moments in the coming year and for the rest of my life.  Our God is awesome.  He is good and he does good.  There is so much around us that we take for granted.  We need to remember how to be amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment