Sunday, December 23, 2018

(Im)perfect Gifts



I am the world's worst at wrapping gifts.  I just don't seem to have either the visual or fine motor skills to get that paper on the box neatly and evenly. I seldom even bother to add bows or ribbons because it's sort of like putting lipstick on a pig.  Yet, never once have I had someone reject a package from me because of its amateur wrapping job.  On Christmas morning, when my son, his wife, and our granddaughter come to the house, I doubt very seriously if my gift wrapping skills (or lack thereof) will even be mentioned. We will enjoy our time together and what is inside those clumsily adorned boxes will bring smiles to the faces of my family.

My friend, Natalie, makes the most beautiful and delicious cupcakes.  They are the kind of baking creation you look at and say, "That's almost too pretty to eat".  Mine - not so much.  I don't have the equipment or expertise to do pretty things with the frosting, so it gets slathered on with a table knife and that's about it.  However, my banana cake with cream cheese frosting tastes amazing, even if it's not as easy on the eyes.

Did you ever watch one of those talent competitions when a very unlikely looking "star" comes on stage?  The judges sort of smirk and roll their eyes as this person takes their place and nervously raises a microphone.  Then that first beautiful note of song comes out of their mouth and the jaws of the judges drop in amazement.  What was important was the talent, sweetness, and value of what was on the inside of them - not their outward appearance.

Sometimes, we think our efforts aren't worth offering to anyone, because we know someone who does it better.  If we wait until we have a perfect product to present to the world or even just to our church family, we'll never do anything in this life.  Whether what you do looks "Pinterest perfect" or it's a "Pinterest fail", there is still value in the offering.

Maybe you've said to yourself, "I really love working with little kids, but I know that Sister Sweet and Nice is a great teacher to them, so nobody needs me" or "I love people and I love to study the Word, but I couldn't lead a small group like Brother Been at the Church Forever" so you just sit back and soak in what God is providing for you without stepping out to present your messy gift or your ugly cupcake to the world.  I have news for you - Sister and Brother Whoever started out serving while making mistakes, saying the wrong thing sometimes, feeling awkward, but they served and they grew and now you think they've mastered something that you could never even attempt. 

You just have to start the same way they did.  Be available, be open, look for opportunities, ask your pastor where you can serve.  It takes so many hands to do Kingdom work and many times people are taking on a massive number of roles to make sure that everything is done and done well.  We want things to be excellent but we aren't expected to be perfect.  Excellence is giving your best, with your whole heart. Everyone loves a gift.  Please share yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment