Sunday, July 29, 2018

Amazing Love




When our son was a little boy he often said to us, “I love you a million thousand every day”.  Like most parents, we remember the cutest things our kids said and still talk about them, even though those babies are now adults.  I loved this phrase so much that I had a wall plaque created with those words.  It now hangs over my kitchen window.

One day I was walking through the house and noticed the plaque.  God said to me, “Think about those words a minute and I’ll show you something”.

As I meditated on that childish utterance, God showed me that when my baby boy said, “a million thousand” he was imagining the biggest number he could to indicate the depth of the love he had for us.  When he used the words, “every day",  he meant not just Christmas morning or the day we took him fishing or the time we went to the amusement park, but every single ordinary day of his life.

God said, “My love is much the same. A million thousand is only a tiny fraction of the infinite love that I have for my children.  I love you so much that I gave you Jesus and your mind can only comprehend a very small part of what that means for you.  My love for you is every day – not just when you have it all together, not just when you pray just right, not just when you’ve studied the Word or lifted your hands in worship, not just when you are treating those around you the way you should. I love you on the days when you are broken or doubting or frustrated or angry or unforgiving or apathetic.  I love you deeply and unconditionally every day.”

Every morning when you wake up to start your day, just imagine our amazing God greeting you with that phrase:
"I love you a million thousand

 – every day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment