Sunday, May 20, 2018

"In" and "Amen"



Sometimes, when I’m not in serious Bible study, I just flip through the pages of my Bible, looking at words or verses I have highlighted or underlined in the past.  I was doing that the other night when I thought about the fact that the Old and New Testament are one continuous story of the love of God and His plan to reach us and bring us into relationship with Himself.

As I thought more along those lines, I considered beginnings and endings.  I knew the first word of Genesis 1:1 was “In”, but I wasn’t sure about the last word of Revelation.  I looked up Revelation 22:21 and confirmed that it was “Amen”!

 I am quite aware that there are 66 books in the Bible and that 2 Timothy 3:16 says, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.”  I am in no way saying that we shouldn’t read and learn from every word, but really, the first word and the last word sum up the whole theme of the Bible.

Throughout the Old Testament, God was trying to establish relationship with His people – to be IN their midst, for them to live IN His ways and according to His laws.  That system of the law showed men how impossible it was to live in holiness in their own strength – how much they needed a Savior.  The New Testament reveals the sacrifice of Jesus which made a way for us to be IN Him and He IN us.  His Holy Spirit lives and works IN us.  From “IN the beginning” to the Holy Spirit IN us – that was the plan of God.

“Amen” means “so be it”. 2 Corinthians 1:20 says, “For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us.” That final Amen in Revelation 22:21 goes like this, “The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.”


The grace that John is referring to there is that same grace that causes us to be IN Him. Acts 17:28 says that, “For in him we liveand moveand have our being…..”  The most important decision we will ever make is choosing to be in Him.  Everything else in our lives flows from our relationship with Jesus.  What about it?  Are you IN? Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment