Sunday, May 19, 2019

Give 'Em a High Five!



Last week I accompanied my son's family to a small local park that featured just two pieces of playground equipment.  A young woman was there with her three-year-old daughter and infant son, who was quite content with swaying back and forth in the infant swing, watching his sister play.  My granddaughter, Bella, joined the older girl, who she had never met, and immediately called her "my friend".

The girls played happily together for 20 minutes or so, climbing up the steps to the slide and going down over and over again.  On one such descent, Bella was at the bottom of the slide while her friend slid down.  As the girl reached the bottom, Bella exclaimed, "Good job! High five!"  All the adults immediately cracked up laughing because it was so adorable, but it also really touched my heart because my little one seems to be a natural encourager. 

I believe all of us appreciate being appreciated. Hearing someone compliment something we have created or celebrating something we have accomplished is a lovely feeling.  Last week, I received a comment about my blog post that not only warmed my heart but also gave me more motivation to continue just doing what I do with my writing.  I know my audience is small and I'm not reaching thousands with my words, but I have heard many pastors say they would preach the same to a congregation of one as to an auditorium full of people.  The expression of the gift and the obedience in using it are what is important.  I realized through that comment that God is responsible for the expansion of the message, not us.

1 Thessalonians 5:11 says, "Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing."

When you offer sincere words to someone who has blessed you with their gifts and talents, you play a part in the continued flow of what they produce in their lives, but don't stop with just the people who are highly visible.  Thank the person who made the coffee or set a table or picked up the trash or any of the hundreds of things people do to make the lives of others better.  Talk to the teenager who is stepping out to attempt something new and give them words that will boost their confidence.  Give the senior person some verbal applause for a life skill they have shared with you. 

The words you speak may seem insignificant to you, but they could be a turning point in the life of another person  I urge you to look for opportunities this week to give that gift of encouragement to someone in your life - and not this week only, but make it a priority in your life. 

Hebrews 10:24-25

"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching."

No comments:

Post a Comment