Sunday, March 10, 2019

Happy to You!



My little granddaughter Bella recently turned two.  Of course, that meant a birthday party and the singing of the birthday song.  She's been to a few other family birthday parties and has heard the song before. She's learning lots of little songs and rhymes, but in this case, the word "birthday" gets left out and she sings "Happy to you!" making the song appropriate for any occasion now. 

For Valentine's Day, her mama gave us a nice little flower arrangement and she and Bella surprised me with a visit to my school to deliver it.  When they were at home, preparing this for me, Bella's mother, Brittney, cut out a little heart and asked her to color it. She told Bella that it was for Mamaw and Pawpaw and Bella replied, "Happy to you!" so that's the greeting Brittney used to finish the heart.

I have no profound thoughts tonight.  God hasn't used any mundane little occurrences to teach me any big lessons this week, but as I looked at this note, kept now on my refrigerator door, I went to see where the word "happy" occurred in the Bible.  I know the Bible talks more about joy than happiness, but surely the word was there somewhere.

Indeed it was, but only a few verses.  Here are just four of them.

Proverbs 16:20 
He who heeds the word wisely will find good, And whoever trusts in the Lord, happy is he.

Psalm 146:5 
Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God.

Psalm 144:15
Happy are the people who are in such a state; Happy are the people whose God is the Lord!

Deuteronomy 33:29 
Happy are you, O Israel!  Who is like you, a people saved by the Lord, The shield of your help And the sword of your majesty!  Your enemies shall submit to you, And you shall tread down their high places.

As Christians, we are heirs of the promises and declarations of the Old Testament from which these verses come.  They speak of being happy because of our trust in the Lord, of His help, of His salvation, and His hope.  Reading them reminds me of all the reasons we should be rejoicing.  So I leave you today with my granddaughter's declaration to me -  HAPPY TO YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment