Sunday, June 24, 2018

Get Rid of the Junk!






If you are a Facebook person, you know how the site will show you posts from previous years on the anniversary of the date that you first posted them.  One of mine today was a post from nine years ago that reads like this:

"Packing, sorting, organizing, yard sale planning, weeding out the junk . . . How do people stay organized when they don't move every year like I have for a while? What will I do when I actually have to stay in one place for the rest of my life???????"

Ironically, since that move, I have moved three more times. Each time there is more accumulated "stuff" that I can easily discard, sell or give away.  If I can live without it and let it leave my life so easily, why did I have it in the first place?

I've been thinking about the unnecessary things in my life.  Even though I'm not contemplating a move this time, (thank goodness), I am still spending some of my summer break from teaching to go through all my belongings and let go of the things that I really don't need or want.  I've got clothes that don't fit or that never flattered me in the first place, books and mountains of files that I'll never refer to again, kitchen gadgets that create more work that they perform, decorative objects and framed pictures that I just don't have room for, and a host of other miscellaneous items that just don't have a place in my life anymore. The phrase "less is more" really is true. When the useless is moved away, it is much easier to find, use and enjoy those things that are beautiful and useful in your home.

Just like the physical items in our lives, there are spiritual, mental and emotional things that we need to release as well.  That old resentment against someone in your past?  You don't need it.  While it is hurting you, they probably haven't even had a thought about you in years.  Throw it out.  The self-critical attitude you have about yourself?  Dump it.  God created you to be an amazing piece of work with potential that you cannot begin to comprehend.  Fears about the future?  Who needs them?  God says to "fear not" and to trust your steps to Him.  When you discard those old, damaging thoughts and attitudes, it's much easier to find, use and enjoy those things that are beautiful and useful in your life.

Hebrews 12:1 says, "Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us...."

An Olympic runner can't race while carrying heavy suitcases and we can't run our race bogged down by thinking that doesn't align itself with the Word of God.  Let's let go of all those "weights" in our lives so we can reach the finish line in our lives in victory.







No comments:

Post a Comment